Thursday, November 18, 2010

Bookanista Feature: Rachel Hawkins's DEMONGLASS


The Bookanistas are a group of writers - in various stages of the publishing process – who have decided to band together and review the special books of our peers.  No negative reviews here! We post every Thursday and cover various topics– upcoming ARCs, books we love, special diamonds in the rough, classics, and even cover reviews.




DEMONGLASS by Rachel Hawkins

This is the kind of book I wish I could write. Y'all, funny is the hardest style to write, and Rachel nails it.

DEMONGLASS is the sequel to HEX HALL, and because I begged no, begged Shelli (who got a signed ARC) to share, she passed it along the Bookanista line. 

*sigh of bliss*

Here's the good things:
  • The sequel is better than the first: so if you read and liked HEX HALL, you will LOVE DEMONGLASS
  • Sophie, the main character, has the perfect combination of sarcasm and vulnerability
  • Cal, the third wheel of the love triangle (<<--is that even a phrase?) is perfectly painted. What a realistic way to create a love triangle--his love for her is built on friendship and admiration, and seems very real, even though Cal's a silent, stoic character.
  • Sophie is aware of the presence of the love triangle, and she doesn't lead him on, and that's so refreshing. I'm not saying there's nothing there--I'm saying Sophie doesn't take advantage or use either boy she's attracted to.
  • The plot is so tightly woven. And while I guessed the twist about her mom, I did not at all guess the other twist like at all. I gasped aloud on the airplane and woke up the person sleeping next to me.
  • It's set in England. Loff <3 loff <3 loff.
Here's the bad thing:
  • I'm working on my sequel for Across the Universe right now. And she makes me worried that my Book 2 will never be as good as her Book 2!!! *dies of anguish* ARGH ARGH ARGH

*~*~*~*

Other Bookanista Features Today:

9 comments:

lotusgirl said...

I almost picked up Hex Hall at the bookstore yesterday, but I already had a handful and put it back. Maybe I'll just download it to my Kindle.

Christina Lee said...

Oh YAY!!!!!! So excited to read this!! And you're right, she does know how to do sarcasm so well (wish I could do it too)!

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

Okay, so I haven't read Hex Hall. But I should. And after your review of Demon Glass, I have to because I really want to read it.

P.S. All triangles should come equipped with wheels.

Alix said...

Dying of jealousy! Dying! I can't wait for this book.

Matthew MacNish said...

I haven't read the first one, but this sounds amazing. And you're right, NOTHING is harder than funny.

And oh my! That cover!

Elana Johnson said...

I have this!! Neiner, neiner, I'm reading it later today! I love the cover too.

And I hope I can write a good book 2 as well--I'm sure yours is frawesome, Beth.

Tui Snider said...

So glad I've stumbled onto your blog this month (via NaBloPoMo's randomizer, I think.)

I have a feeling the phrase "third wheel of the love triangle" is gonna be stuck in my head this afternoon.

~Tui

Christina Farley said...

Oh I want to read BOTH books. Thanks for the heads up. Adding it to my Christmas list! Shivering with excitement.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I can't wait to read this. And I'm sure your second book will be great too.

BTW, congrats on the write on in PW Children's Bookshelf.